These rules recently appeared in an article written by @mattpetronzio an editor with Mashable.
- Highlight the organizations positive impact.
- Let your design tell a compelling story.
- Empathy first: Design for people and let them lead.
- Try new things. If you first don't succeed...
- Add a human, personal connection.
- Be thoughtful in your design.
- Design for impact (action).
- Find a firm that you trust and aligns with your vision and culture.
- Be ready to change as technology evolves.
- Fail and fail again. It's the only way you'll learn.
Having worked with many nonprofits myself, the one rule that stands out as being the most critical is finding that firm that aligns with your vision. They should display the same passion and enthusiasm as you do - if they don't, move on!